Saturday 27 December 2014

Best of 2014 | Films

2014 has just flown by without a moments notice. I thought it would be a good idea to sum-up my favourite movies of 2014, seeing as there are only 4 more days till 2015. 

*These are movies I have enjoyed throughout the year, that did not necessarily come out in 2014*

The Grand Budapest Hotel 


I hadn't heard much about this film before I watched it and got it on a whim. I wasn't expecting much but I was blown away and was laughing throughout the film. Ralph Fiennes plays the lead as Gustav H. who is framed for murder. You see the epic and hilarious adventure Gustav undertakes along with his lobby boy, Zero to clear his name. Not only are the visuals brilliant, but the acting and script are just spot on and make this film such a pleasure to watch. I highly recommend this if you haven't watched it already.


Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 


I was a big fan of the first film that came out in 2011 and once I realised there was going to be a second one, I was over the moon. I went to watch it in the cinema with my cousins and sister during summer and I can honestly say this film is one of my top films ever. I actually like that this film is certainly a lot 'darker' than the first.


X-Men: Days of Future Past 


Again, this has got to be one of my favourite films ever. I also think that this is the best film from the X-Men franchise. It follows Wolverine going back in time to try and change the past in order to save the mutant race. This film is packed with suspense, laughs and amazingness that make it a pleasure to watch. 


Blackfish  


This is a brilliant documentary about orcas being kept in captivity at 'SeaWorld'. I am completely against keeping animals in captivity and always have been, but there was a lot in this film that I didn't even know about. It is a real eye-opener to the atrocities that occur endangering these majestic animals. If you want to know more then I suggest you watch this film because I guarantee you will not regret it.


Bridget Jones's Diary 


I remember my sister telling me to watch this years ago, but I never really took much notice. I can't actually remember what drove me to watch this recently, but I am so glad I did. The film centers around Bridget Jones who is a 30 something year old and her struggle to find love. It is brilliant film and is one of my favourite films of all time.


Ferris Bueller's Day Off 


I was researching some good 'old' movies to watch and I stumbled across this. The film follows Ferris Bueller a high school senior who decides to skip school and goes to downtown Chicago with his girlfriend and best friend. Throughout the day, they have to cleverly avoid the school Dean, his sister and parents. This is such a wonderful film to watch and I highly recommend it. 


About Time 


I adore this film. Firstly, it has an ever so wonderful cast including Rachel McAdams and Bill Nighy. The story follows Tim, a charming young man and his quest for love. His whole world changes when his Dad tells him that all the men in the family can travel back in time. Tim then uses this advantage to get the most out of his extraordinary ordinary life. This film will make you laugh and cry and I highly recommend you watch it. 

Begin Again 


I had wanted to watch this film for ages and when I finally saw it, I was not disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this film. It revolves around Gretta James who is a singer-songwriter and she is discovered by an owner of a struggling record label. They collaborate together to make an album recorded all over New York. The soundtrack and actors are brilliant and the script is wonderful. I guarantee you will enjoy this film, I cannot recommend it enough. 


The Babadook 


I am not one for horror films but my Dad told me about this and I was intrigued.  The film is about a mother and son who find a book and from then on, strange things start to occur. It isn't really scary, but there are parts where you will want to pull your covers over your head. 


10 Things I Hate About You


I watched this film ages ago and absolutely loved it. When I watched it again recently, I felt in love with it all over again. This pretty much set the basis for a lot of romantic comedies that came out in the 2000s. And who does't want to watch a film with the ever so gorgeous Heath Ledger?


What are some films you have enjoyed throughout the year?

Sarah x

Design by | SweetElectric